Our learning site has a responsive design that works well on a small screen, but a mobile app (Android, iOS) and desktop app (Windows, OSX, Linux) are available for those who would like a more contained learning experience or more facility for offline learning.
We have a few caveats for those who want to use Saylor Academy courses on this app:
- we did not create this app and do not maintain it; it is made and maintained by the same people behind the open-source software (Moodle) that runs our courses
- some more advanced quiz types are not available within the app and can only be completed within a mobile or desktop web browser
- there are some features (e.g. in the app settings) that we do not use.
How to get started with the app:
- Register an account with Saylor Academy and enroll in your courses (you can also enroll in courses via the app)
- Download the app to your device
https://learn.saylor.orgfor the site URL
- Log in with your Saylor Academy account email/username and password (see how to create an account)
Some points of interest (see images below for illustration):
- Moodle Mobile app menu:
- "My courses" will take you to the list of courses you are currently enrolled in
- "Site home", "Notifications", "Calendar events", and "My files" do not have useful functions due to how our site is set up
- "Website" will open the learn.saylor.org page in a browser (i.e. outside of the app)
- "Help" will open the Mooodle mobile help page in a browser
- "App settings" allows you to control settings like synchronization, data storage, etc.
- "Change site" allows you to sign into other Moodle sites/accounts you might have
- Moodle Mobile app settings:
- "General" settings allow you to change the default language, toggle the ability to download sections for offline viewing (recommended), toggle rich text editors (optional - sometimes used in quizzes and other assessments), and toggle automatic error reporting to the people who maintain the app (optional)
- "Synchronization" settings allow you to toggle synchronization of site changes and other data on wi-fi only (recommended) and to force synchronization
- Course overview with download icons:
- This is the initial view of a course; click into any section to begin learning. If "Enable download sections" is toggled on in the general settings, you will see a cloud + arrow icon -- click any icon to download the corresponding sections for offline use. Note that not every resource type will be downloadable.
Moodle Mobile app menu
Moodle Mobile app settings
Course overview with download icons